In today’s hyperconnected era, where customers’ communications with brands happen online, many companies tend to neglect the power of phone calls. If you have a business number, and yet, you do not track and analyze phone calls, you are not the only one.
However, research proves that call centers still matter to your customers. BrightLocal, for example, found that 60% of customers would call your business on the phone after finding it online. Only 16% would send an email, while 3% of them would contact your brand via social networks.
Now, chances are you are running multiple digital marketing campaigns simultaneously, including PPC, SEO, social media marketing, email marketing, billboard ads, and radio commercials. When a customer calls you, your goal is to learn where they found you to assess the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns.
That is where call tracking steps in. Let’s learn how to use it to improve your marketing strategy.
How does Call Tracking Work?
While call tracking may seem like a foreign land to you, it is actually done at the most basic level. You get multiple phone numbers, one for each marketing campaign. Next, you monitor which numbers get the most calls. The main goal of call tracking is to tell you where your leads come from and which marketing tactics perform the best.
How Call Tracking Helps your Marketing Strategy
Call tracking provides you with helpful insights into your target customers, helping you understand them like never before. Here are some of the most obvious benefits of call tracking and analysis:
- Determine which marketing campaigns resonate with your audience. Just because you have invested a small fortune into radio ads does not mean they will generate qualified sales and customers. By using different phone numbers for each marketing campaign, you can easily attribute your leads to their sources.
- Calculating ROI. In marketing, calculating the return on investment is crucial. It tells you, your boss, and your clients how effective your marketing tactics are.
- Personalizing user experiences. Collecting customer data provides better insights into their common problems, habits, and experiences. By integrating your call tracking software with your CRM, you will get 360-degree insights into customers’ behaviors. That way, you will qualify leads and provide them with more personalized content that results in conversions.
Tracking the Success of Marketing Campaigns
The effectiveness of your call tracking system depends on your specific needs and expectations. For example, if you are looking for a call recording tool to measure customer engagement and satisfaction, then you do not need to invest in advanced call tracking tools. In that case, choosing a reliable VoIP business solution with call recording features will be enough.
Call tracking software is essential for marketers wanting to get more granular insights into the success of their marketing campaigns.
- Keyword-level tracking. It lets you understand which phrases are driving the most phone calls. That is particularly useful in tracking the effectiveness of your PPC campaigns. You get a unique phone number for each campaign. Therefore, when a customer calls, you will automatically know where they come from and which keywords helped you generate a lead.
- Campaign-level tracking. Campaign-level tracking measures which marketing campaigns convert the best. You can view phone call details directly from the call tracking software’s dashboard. Therefore, even if you have invested in a non-digital marketing campaign, you can still measure its success with these tools. Campaign-level tracking applies to both digital marketing campaigns and offline ones.
- Multichannel attribution tracking. Today, customers are tech-savvy. They use multiple channels, both online and offline, to communicate with your brand. To increase their satisfaction, you need to provide omnichannel customer service. However, tracking their journey and interactions with your business from start to finish can be complicated.
That is where multichannel attribution tracking shines. With it, you can monitor the overall progress of each lead as they move down your sales funnel. Most importantly, you will compare different online marketing channels and determine which ones result in conversions.
With these features, you can observe the correlations between your marketing campaigns and their results. That way, you can determine which tactics convert the best so you can focus on them in the future. Most importantly, call tracking software eliminates the gaps between online and offline marketing efforts, providing you with a more holistic overview of your campaigns.
Is Call Tracking the Best Option for My Company?
Call tracking is an effective way to improve your marketing strategy. It gives you a direct and straightforward insight into the performance of your marketing efforts. By analyzing conversations with customers, you will understand what tactics (do) not work for them and improve your marketing campaigns accordingly. That way, you will deliver more relevant and targeted customer experiences at every stage of their buyer journey.
Now, you are probably asking yourself whether tracking phone calls is the right solution for your business. Well, remember that there are no uniform marketing or data analytics rules for everyone to apply. The success of your call tracking strategy depends on a wide array of factors, such as the size of your business, your goals, your customers’ preferred marketing channels, the metrics you measure, and the tools you use. Consider your company’s specific needs and plan your call tracking strategy accordingly.
Image Credit: Foxxr
The original version of this article was first published on V3Broadsuite.
- Top Tactics for a Winning SaaS Marketing Strategy in 2021 - June 17, 2021
- Top Ways to Leverage Tech to Boost Customer Engagement in Retail - May 24, 2021
- Top Tips for Efficient Communication with Your SEO Team - April 1, 2021